Energy Programs & Incentives
There are several federal, state and local energy programs and incentives available to businesses that help make energy efficiency a more affordable option. For more information, visit www.nyserda.ny.gov.
New York State Energy Research & Development (NYSERDA) works to promote energy efficiency, renewable energy, and emissions reduction across New York’s economy and energy system, and offers programs that provide support for installing and using renewable energy.
New York State Renewable Technology Programs & Incentives
- Energy Storage—Technical assistance and funding opportunities for implementing an energy storage system. Learn more.
- New York State Solar Tax Credits—State tax credits and accelerated depreciation on the cost of installation. Learn more.
- NY-Sun—Financial incentives and financing to offset the cost of purchasing and installing a solar system for your business. NYSERDA is also providing incentives for energy storage capacity. Learn more.
Orange & Rockland Utilities provides electric and gas service to residents and businesses in six counties in New York and northern New Jersey. In addition, O&R offers incentive rates to qualifying commercial electric customers locating to - or expanding within - the company's New York service territory.
The New York Economic Development Rate (ERD) incentive is designed to help ease the cost of making major relocation or expansion decisions. Businesses that qualify for the New York Economic Development Rate (EDR), will receive a 20% discount off the electric delivery portion of the rate for five years.
Rebates & Incentives for Energy-Efficient Upgrades
In addition, O&R offers energy-efficient programs and equipment upgrades designed for businesses of all sizes. These include the following:
- Business Direct Install Pathway Program: Under this program, O&R will cover up to 70% of the cost for energy improvements.
- Instant Lighting Incentive Program: Offers instant incentives on energy-efficient LED interior and exterior lighting.
- Custom Rebate Pathway Program: Offers rebates for cost-effective measures including HVAC Upgrades - Electric or Gas.
- Prescriptive Rebate Pathway Program: O&R's best option for heating, cooling, and ventilation (HVAC) or variable speed drive (VSD) upgrades and installations that meet program eligibility requirements.
- Instant HVAC Incentive Program: Save money and energy through participating contractors to get instant incentives on high-efficiency commercial HVAC equipment, water heating equipment, and kitchen appliances.
There are several programs and incentives available for businesses that install electric vehicle charging stations or utilize electric vehicles as part of their business.
Applicants who meet certain program conditions can get incentives that cover up to 100% of the energy company and customer costs of installing level 2 or direct current fast-charging stations in designated “Areas of Opportunity” areas in New York.
Fleet owners and operators may be eligible for assistance from Orange & Rockland for services to help assess and/or convert their fleets to electric vehicles.
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has allocated $5 billion over five years (FY 2022-2026) to replace existing school buses with zero-emission and low-emission models under its Clean School Bus Program.