Haverstraw

Central Presbyterian Church

64 New Main Street
Haverstraw, NY 10927

Phone: 845-429-5111

150 years old. 13 full size Tiffany windows shown by appointment.


Haverstraw Brick Museum

12 Main St.
Haverstraw, NY 10927

Phone: 845-947-3505
Website: www.haverstrawbrickmuseum.com

Exhibits relate and recount the over 100-year history of brick making in Haverstraw, an area once known as “The Brick-making Capital of the world.”


St. Peters Church

115 Broadway
Haverstraw, NY 10927

Phone: 845-429-2196
Website: www.saintpeterschurch.us

The first Mass in Haverstraw, New York was celebrated in St. Peter’s Catholic Church in 1847. The oldest Catholic church in Rockland County. Founded by the Irish immigrants, original church was burned down and later rebuilt.

New City

Dutch Garden

21 New Hempstead Rd.
New City, NY 10956

Phone: 845-364-2670
E-mail: env@co.rockland.ny.us

Designed by Mary Mowbray Clarke in 1933-34 as memorial to county’s early settlers. In 1935 it won garden of the year award from Better Homes & Gardens magazine. Master craftsman Biaglo Gugliuzzo of Garnerville created walks and latticed walls of Haverstraw brick. Now a county park with historic markers on site. Features a beautiful display of flowering bulbs in spring.


Historical Society of Rockland

20 Zukor Rd.
New City, NY 10956

Phone: 845-634-9629
Website: www.rocklandhistory.org
E-mail: info@rocklandhistory.org

The modern museum features changing exhibits and programs throughout the year.

Administrative Office Hours: Tuesday-Friday 10am-5pm
Museum Gallery Exhibitions Hours: Wednesday-Sunday noon-4pm


Law Enforcement Museum

55 New Hempstead Road
New City, NY 10956

Phone: 845-638-5585

The walls of the county Sheriffs Dept. are filled with photos and interesting memorabilia relating to the history of law enforcement in Rockland County, new York City and around the nation. Free admission. Handicapped accessible. Open weekdays by appointment.


New Hempstead Presbyterian Church

474 New Hempstead Rd.
New City, NY 10956

Phone: 845-354-2372
Website: www.nhpc.org

The first English-speaking church established in the county.


The Jacob Blauvelt Farmhouse

20 Zukor Rd.
New City, NY 10956

Phone: 845-634-9629
Website: www.rocklandhistory.org
E-mail: info@rocklandhistory.org

Restored 1832 Farmhouse. An example of Flemish Vernacular architecture with Greek Revival ornamentation the house contains period rooms that illustrate the lifestyles of local farming families during the first half of the nineteenth century. Office hours: Tues-Fri, 10am-5pm. Exhibts: Wed-Sun noon-4pm. Group tours by appointment.

New Hempstead

Brick Church

220 Brick Church Rd.
New Hempstead, NY 10977

Phone: 845-354-6131

Built in 1774. The graves of Revolutionary soldiers and some original settlers are found in its church yard.

Nyack

Clarkstown Reformed Church

107 Strawtown Road
West Nyack, NY 10994

Phone: 845-358-4320

Built in 1750, graves of Revolutionary soldiers and some original settlers are found in its churchyards.


Clarksville Inn

One Strawtown Road
West Nyack, NY 10994

Phone: 845-358-2801

Built by Thomas Warner in 1840 as a hotel.


Edward Hopper House Art Center

82 North Broadway
Nyack, NY 10960

Phone: 845-358-0774
Website: www.edwardhopperhouse.org
E-mail: info@hopperhouse.org

This birthplace and boyhood home of the eminent realist painter Edward Hopper was built in 1858. Hopper was born here in 1882, graduated from Nyack High School, died in 1967, and is buried in Nyack’s Oak Hill Cemetery. The restored house is a NYS Historic Site. One of its rooms is devoted to materials about Hopper’s work and life in Nyack. Three other rooms provide space for monthly exhibits by local artists. The restored garden is the setting for jazz concerts on summer evenings. Handicapped accessible. Sat. & Sun. 1:00-5:00pm. Admission Free. Suggested donation $1.


Historical Society of the Nyacks

PO Box 850
Nyack, NY 10960

Phone: 845-358-0552
Website: www.nyackhistory.org

Armchair Tours, interesting excursions, and exhibits at the Nyack Library and other venues.

Orangeburg

Camp Shanks

S. Greenbush Road
Orangeburg, NY 10962

Phone: 845-638-5419

Exhibit focus on military life in Camp Shanks during WWII. The site of Camp Shanks once stretched from Blauvelt to the New Jersey Border. Some 1.3 million soldiers shipped out from here, via the Piermont Pier, on their way to Normandy Invasion. Open Memorial Day through Labor Day. Saturday and Sunday only, noon-4pm. No Admission, handicapped accessible.


The Isaac DePew House

196 Blaisdell Road
Orangeburg, NY 10962

Phone: 845-398-1302
Website: www.orangetownmuseum.com
E-mail: otownmuseum@optonline.net

Built about 1778 and is part of the Orangetown Museum Complex.


Orangetown Museum and Archives

196 Blaisdell Road
Orangeburg, NY 10962

Phone: 845-398-1302
Website: www.orangetownmuseum.com
E-mail: otownmuseum@optonline.net

Located at the DePew House.

Pearl River

The Michael Salyer House

213 Blue Hill Road
Pearl River, NY 10965

Phone: 845-735-0429
Website: www.orangetownmuseum.com
E-mail: otownmuseum@optonline.net

The Salyer House was built in the last quarter of the 18th century. In 2003 the Salyer House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Showcases three permanent exhibits, by appointment only. Handicapped accessible, donations appreciated..

Pomona

Rockland County Volunteer Fire Services Museum

35 Firemen’s Memorial Dr.
Pomona, NY 10970

Phone: 845-634-1249

200 years of fire service history, including a horse-drawn steamer, hand drawn hose cart and antique fire trucks. Collection of firematic memorabilia dating back to 1834 when Orangetown Fire Co. #1 was the first to organize. Call for appointment.

Sloatsburg

Harmony Hall~Jacob Sloat House

15 Liberty Rock Road
Sloatsburg, NY 10974

Phone: 845-712-5220
Website: www.friendsofharmonyhall.org
E-mail: curator@friendsofharmonyhall.org

Harmony Hall, original home of Jacob Sloat, built 1848. A considerable example of late Greek Revival style. Typified by raised center section and flanking symmetrical

Sparkill

Christ Episcopal Church of Piermont

416 Valentine Avenue
Sparkill, NY 10976

Phone: 845-359-2858

This 150 year old church was born in a converted warehouse and has survived the Civil War.


St. Charles AME Zion Church

432 Valentine Avenue
Sparkill, NY 10976

Phone: 845-359-3509

A 140 year old church. Founded in 1865.

Spring Valley

Holocaust Museum & Study Center

17 South Madison Ave.
Spring Valley, NY 10977

Phone: 845-356-2700
Website: www.holocauststudies.org
E-mail: info@holocauststudies.org

Permanent exhibit combines graphics, montages, artifacts, and audio visual displays to detail every phase of the Holocaust. Changing art exhibits. Open to the public free of charge. Sun-Thurs 12-4pm. Closed major Jewish Holidays. Handicapped accessible.

Stony Point

Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site

Park Rd. off 9W
Stony Point, NY 10980

Phone: 845-786-2521
Website: www.palisadesparksconservancy.org

Exhibits relating to the Battle of Stony Point in 1779. Scene of Brigadore General Anthony Wayne’s surprise capture of the British-held fort. Museum displays relics of the battle which became an important American Victory. Features picnicking, blacksmithing, musketing, artillery, campfires, demonstrations, tours and panoramic view of the Hudson River. Museum Hours: Wed. – Sat. 10am to 4:30pm; Sunday – Noon to 4:30pm. Grounds open Mon. – Fri. 9 am – 5pm.; Sat. 10am to 5pm; Sun. noon to 5pm. Parking $5.00 on weekends.


Stony Point Lighthouse

Park Rd. off 9W
Stony Point, NY 10980

Phone: 845-786-2521

Restored 1826 lighthouse, oldest on the river.

Suffern

Suffern Railroad Museum

1 Erie Plaza
Suffern, NY 10901

Phone: 845-357-2600
E-mail: sufrec@suffernvillage.com

Opened in l998, and located on Orange Avenue, at the corner of Commuter Parking Lot A, the museum is housed in an l908 Wells Fargo Building, restored to showcase Suffern’s rich railroad history. The Railroad Museum is open by appointment. For information, call 357-2600.


Suffern Village Museum

61 Washington Ave.
Suffern, NY 10901

Phone: 845-357-2600
E-mail: sufrec@suffernvillage.com

Exhibits relating to the history of Suffern and the Ramapo area from earliest settlement through the 20th century. Includes displays relating to American Indians, original Avon products, nearby iron mines and Dan Beard, who lived in Suffern and was one of the founders of the Boy Scouts of America. Open Sundays 2pm to 4pm except on weekends that include major holidays. It is open by appointment during the months of July and August. Special programs are offered during the year. Located on the top floor of the Municipal Building.

Tappan

Andre Monument

42 Andre Hill
Tappan, NY 10983

Phone: 845-364-2670
Website: www.co.rockland.ny.us/environ

Andre Monument marks the site where the British spy was hanged and buried in 1780 during the American Revolution. It is a large granite monument located on a 20′ by 20′ plot enclosed by a wrought iron fence.


Dewint House & Museum

20 Livingston Ave.
Tappan, NY 10983

Phone: 845-359-1359
Website: www.dewinthouse.com
E-mail: info@dewinthouse.com

George Washington’s temporary Headquarters at Tappan on four separate occasions during the American Revolutionary War. Carriage House and the surrounding grounds are open to the public without fee, 10am-4 pm daily except Mondays, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Reservations for large groups are requested.


Tappantown Historical Society

PO Box 71
Tappan, NY 10983

Phone: 845-359-7790
Website: www.tappantown.org

The Tappantown Historical Society is a non-profit organization founded in 1965 and permanently chartered by the New York State Board of Regents to preserve, protect and enhance buildings and sites in Tappan’s 85 acre historic area, and to perpetuate Tappan’s heritage of architecture and history.


Tappan Reformed Church

32 Old Tappan Road
Tappan, NY 10983

Phone: 845-359-1694

The English – speaking church established in the county (1734).


The 76’ House

110 Main Street
Tappan, NY 10983

Phone: 845-359-5476
Website: www.76house.com

Third oldest restaurant in America, this was Washington’s headquarters, Major John Andre’s prison, and the site of the signing of the Orangetown Resolution. Open 7 days, lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch.

West Haverstraw

Marian Shrine

Off Filors Lane
West Haverstraw, NY 10993

Phone: 845-947-2200
Website: www.marianshrine.org

Featuring an exact replica of St. John Bosco’s birthplace, and statues by Italian sculptor Henry Arrighini. Offers a center for pilgrimage and prayer.

Garnerville

Garnerville Arts & Industrial Center

55 West Railroad Avenue
Garnerville, NY 10923

Phone: 845-947-1155
Website: www.garnervillearts.com

Listed on the National and New York State Registers of Historic Places as the Rockland Print Works Historic District, aka GARNER Historic District of New York. Established by GARNER & Co. which between 1837 and 1909 dominated the textile industry in the United States, the complex is associated with the hamlet of Garnerville’s development as a factory town and was reorganized in 1934 as one of the Nation’s first industrial cooperatives. Also significant for its intact industrial age architecture. The GARNER Historic District is now home to numerous artists and artisans and the non-profit GARNER Arts Center.